MapLight Profile Pages of Deficit Reduction 'Super Committee' Members
Aug. 8, 2011 - The Republican and Democrat leaders of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives are tasked with appointing 12 members - divided equally by party and chamber - to populate the Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction. The committee is tasked with coming up with a deficit reduction plan by the end of the year. The group has also been referred to as the "Super Committee" as well as "Super Congress." Below is a list of the announced members with links to their MapLight profile pages.
- Pat Toomey (R-Penn.)
- Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.)
- Rob Portman (R-Ohio)
- Patty Murray (D-Wash.)
- John Kerry (D-Mass.)
- Max Baucus (D-Mont.)
House of Representatives
- Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas)
- Fred Upton (R-Mich.)
- Dave Camp (R-Mich.)
- Chris VanHollen (D-Md.)
- Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.)
- Jim Clyburn (D-S.C.)
Support and Opposition of the Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction
- Aug. 15, 2011 from twitter @PatientAction (Patient Action Network) - #SuperCommittee Likely to Look to #Medicare for Cuts ow.ly/63llg (via @medpagetoday)
- Aug. 15, 2011 from twitter @PhysiciansPract (Physicians Practice) - “Once the #supercommittee gets down to business, talks ... will likely focus largely on #Medicare” bit.ly/njvdhJ (@medpagetoday)
- Aug. 15, 2011 from twitter @PensionRights (PensionRightsCenter) & @NCPSSM (National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare) - Write a letter to your Reps: Don't let the #supercongress cut #SocialSecurity #Medicare bit.ly/nNAmPt #supercommittee
- Aug. 12, 2011 from twitter @emilyslist (EMILY's List) - Sen. @PattyMurray, as lone woman, will go “to bat for the needs of women, working families" #SuperCommittee http://ow.ly/61S4
- Aug. 12, 2011 from twitter @AFPhq (Americans for Prosperity) - #AFP Blog: AFP Applauds Senator Toomey’s Inclusion on Super Committee: The free market grassroots group American... bit.ly/p16lC7
- Aug. 11, 2011 from twitter @BlueDogPress (Blue Dog Coalition) - Blue Dogs letter to Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction: Pursue a balanced, bipartisan solution http://1.usa.gov/ndrjaq
- Aug. 11, 2011 from twitter @adapadvocacy (AIDS Drug Assistance Programs) - Housing Works: Super Committee Republicans Could Jeopardize AIDS Programs housingworks.org/activism/detai… via @housingworks
- Aug. 10, 2011 from twitter: @GroverNorquist (Americans for Tax Reform) - Boehner and McConnell appoint friends of taxpayers to the "Debt Super Committee" your wallet is safe.
- Aug. 10, 2011 from twitter: @aarpbulletin (AARP) - #Medicare & Medicaid are on the table with the upcoming deficit super-committee. 8 cuts they might make. http://aarp.us/p3vmlz
- Aug. 2011 from RootsAction: RootsAction and The Other 98% have teamed up to call for a champion to stop the "Super Congress" before it starts.
- Aug. 5, 2011 from twitter: @SunFoundation (Sunlight Foundation) - Demand for super transparency in debt super committee gains traction on the Hill: http://bit.ly/pRqobh #opensupercongress #opengov
About MapLight: MapLight is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization that reveals money's influence on politics. If our work has been helpful to you, please consider supporting us.