Newly Launched "Voter's Edge Colorado" Tracks Funding Behind CO Ballot Measures
Voter's Edge Colorado Offers a Nonpartisan Source of Information about Ballot Measures – Everything You Need to Know, All in One Place
August 2, 2012 – BERKELEY, CA – I-News, a nonprofit news service, and MapLight, a political money tracker, have joined forces to launch Voter's Edge Colorado, a comprehensive voter guide profiling Colorado ballot measures. Voter's Edge will provide citizens and journalists with Summary, Endorsement, Editorial, News, Advertisement, and Funding information for Amendment 6 - Marijuana Legalization and Referendum S - State Personnel System.
"I-News' highest mission is helping citizens of a democracy understand the issues before them," said Laura Frank, I-News executive director. "Working with Maplight, we can help voters understand what Colorado ballot measures would really do and whose money is behind each side."
Voter's Edge Colorado offers citizens and journalists a one-stop shop for information about ballot measures, including:
- Campaign Finance
- How much money has been raised for and against each ballot measure
- The top 10 list of contributors for and against each ballot measure and their total contributions
- Names of organizations and individuals who have publicly indicated support of or opposition to each ballot measure
- All of the latest news articles related to a ballot measure
- Editorials and opinion pieces written for and against each ballot measure
- Advertisements being run by the official campaigns to support and oppose each ballot measure
- Summary information
- What a 'YES' or a 'NO' vote would mean
- The financial impact a ballot measure would have
- Arguments written by the campaigns for and against each ballot measure
- Contact information of the campaigns for and against each ballot measure
- Additional information - for example, how it got on the ballot
Partners: MapLight will be expanding Voter's Edge to additional states and cities in partnership with state and local media outlets and community groups across the country. If you are interested in working with MapLight to bring Voter's Edge to your state, county, or city, please contact Jay Costa: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I-News is a nonprofit newsroom that helps other news organizations produce data-driven in-depth journalism. I-News collaborates with the most respected news outlets in Colorado to deliver high-impact journalism to millions of Coloradans.
MapLight, a political money tracker, allows users to gain unique insights into how campaign contributions affect policy so they can draw their own conclusions about how money influences our political system.