MapLight, a nonpartisan research organization that tracks money's influence on politics, is seeking a Communications Associate. This position is full-time and based in downtown Berkeley, California (close to BART).
The Communications Associate will work on a variety of MapLight’s communications programs and must possess strong computer, research, analytic, and writing skills.
MapLight has received numerous awards, including a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a James Madison Freedom of Information Award from the Society of Professional Journalists (Northern California Chapter), a United Nations World Summit Award for e.Governance, and a Webby nomination for Best Politics Website.
· compiling media lists and managing media database
· writing media pitches, press releases, media alerts, and case studies
· updating newsroom pages on website
· monitoring media and news developments across a variety of platforms
· executing social media campaigns
· generating story ideas using MapLight’s database tools
· copyediting and fact-checking research posts
· tracking media coverage and measuring audience reach
· maintaining conference calendar and writing speaking abstracts
· responding to incoming research inquires
· building on existing relationships and developing new relationships with target media, influencers, and partner organizations
· reviewing editorial calendars
· other duties as assigned
· three years’ experience in a communications, marketing, or journalist role
· exceptional project management skills with a track record of delivering on objectives
· knowledge of politics and the legislative process
· solid writing skills
· experience in developing and implementing media, marketing, or partnership programs
· experience in representing an organization to the public and/or media on message
· dedication to 100% accuracy
· ability to calmly manage complex workload under tight deadlines
· excellent interpersonal, presentation, and networking skills
· personal dedication to MapLight's mission and work
Desired additional skills:
· proficient in using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Tableau, InDesign, and Excel (pivot tables)
· experience with SEO, AdWords, and optimizing websites for conversion and shareability (social media)
This position is full-time, with salary depending on experience. This position is available immediately and includes health benefits and paid vacation.
If you are motivated by the mission of MapLight, come join our dynamic team and help us fix our country’s broken system of money-dominated politics. Send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Pamela Behrsin at pamela at maplight.org.
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that reveals money's influence on politics. We provide journalists and citizens with transparency tools that connect data on campaign contributions, politicians, legislative votes, industries, companies, and more to show patterns of influence never before possible to see. Thousands of newspapers, TV stations, radio shows, and online news sites have cited our research, including CNN, the public radio show "Marketplace," NPR, Rolling Stone, Foreign Policy, USA Today, Harper's magazine, Washington Post, Reuters, Associated Press, New York Times, MSNBC, AL Jazeera, Fox News, CBS Evening News, and Wall Street Journal.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Pamela Behrsin, VP of Communications, at pamela at maplight.org. Please reference "Communications Associate" in the subject line. No phone calls, please. MapLight is an equal opportunity employer. For a list of all open positions at MapLight, please visit http://maplight.org/jobs.