Data Analyst / SQL Expert
MapLight, a nonpartisan research organization that tracks money’s influence on politics, is seeking to hire a Data Analyst with strong SQL skills to ensure the accuracy of MapLight’s data-driven news stories. MapLight’s database consists of campaign contributions, politicians, legislative votes, industries, companies, personal financial disclosures, and more.
The ideal candidate will play an integral role in the editorial department of the organization and ensure that all content is produced at a high quality and is published on schedule. The candidate must have a very strong attention to detail, manage multiple data inquiries, and be able to quickly adjust priorities to accommodate a 24-hour news cycle.
- Ensure that all content meets the organization’s standards for 100% accuracy
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics using MapLight’s database and reference sources
- Work closely with data and research team, copy editors, and communications staff while verifying accuracy of content
- Work with journalists outside MapLight to fulfill custom data requests
- Three years of experience working as a researcher or data analyst
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and citing data with expertise and accuracy – computer assisted reporting (CAR) or journalism training a plus
- High proficiency with Excel and building pivot tables
- High proficiency with relational databases and SQL
- Strong communication, problem-solving and organizational skills
- A team player with a demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience working with graphical representations of data a plus
- Personal dedication to MapLight’s mission and work