MapLight, an innovative, award-winning nonprofit that tracks money’s influence on politics, is seeking a Data Editor with strong data analysis skills to join its dynamic team. In this role, you will work with MapLight’s internal databases of campaign contribution data, lobbying data, legislative voting records and more to develop our data-driven news stories and ensure their accuracy. Ideally, you will play an integral role in MapLight’s editorial department, ensuring the quality and timeliness of all content we publish. You must possess impeccable attention to detail in order to manage multiple data inquiries and quickly adjust priorities to accommodate a 24-hour news cycle.
- Ensure that all content meets the organization’s standards for 100% accuracy
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics using MapLight’s databases and other reference sources
- Work closely with data and research teams, editors, and communications staff while producing content
- Work with journalists outside MapLight to fulfill custom data requests
- Two or more years of experience working as a researcher or data analyst
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and citing data with expertise and accuracy
- High level of proficiency with Excel and building pivot tables
- A team player with a demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- 100% attention to detail; 100% accurate
- Personal dedication to MapLight’s mission and work
Additional desired skills:
- Journalism degree and/or formal training in computer assisted reporting (CAR)
- Experience working with graphical representations of data
- Strong knowledge of relational databases and SQL
This full-time position is available immediately and includes health benefits, paid vacation, and competitive salary. MapLight is located in downtown Berkeley (near BART). Our hardworking but casual office environment includes quality-of-life perks such as a fully-stocked office snack bar, bi-weekly team lunches, delicious fair-trade coffee, ergonomic workstations, and bike storage on the premises. Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!
Send cover letter and resume to the attention of Mia Zuckerkandel, Managing Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, and reference “Data Editor” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please. MapLight is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and encourages all qualified applicants to apply.
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that reveals money's influence on politics. Our groundbreaking transparency website, http://maplight.org, combines lobbying and campaign contribution data with how every legislator votes on every bill, making connections between money and votes that would previously have taken days or weeks to uncover available to the public at the click of a mouse. Our widely-disseminated, evidence-based findings highlight the relationship between campaign donations and legislative outcomes for the specific issues people care about, focusing citizen outrage and political energy on the root cause of government’s failure to serve the public interest: our broken system of campaign finance.
Since our founding in 2005, MapLight has reached over 315 million people with our data highlighting the impact of political influence. We've also launched Voter’s Edge, a comprehensive, nonpartisan online voter guide for the 21st century, and won a James Madison Freedom of Information Award, a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a Library Journal Best Reference Award, an American Library Association MARS: Best Free Reference Web Site Award, and a Webby Award nomination. For more about MapLight's work, check out the Stanford Social Innovation Review’s profile of MapLight (http://maplight.org/SSIR) or visit http://maplight.org and http://votersedge.org.