September 6, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 2781 proposed by Senator Leahy for Senator Levin.
September 6, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 2781 as modified agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
Full Text of this Amendment
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __. SENSE OF THE SENATE REGARDING IRAQ REFUGEE CRISIS.
(a) Findings.--Congress makes the following findings:
(1) The annual United States worldwide ceiling for refugees has been 70,000 since 2002.
(2) The Department of State has yet to use all of the available allocation that could be used for Iraqi refugees.
(3) Since 2003, more than 2,000,000 Iraqis have fled their country and over 2,000,000 Iraqis are also displaced within Iraq.
(4) It has become increasingly clear that people who have assisted the United States; Iraqi Christians and other religious minorities cannot safely return to Iraq.
(5) The United States Government has an obligation to help these refugees and should act swiftly to do so.
(6) The United States Government should increase the allocation of refugee slots for Iraqi refugees for resettlement in the United States.
(b) Sense of the Senate.--It is the sense of the Senate that the President should act swiftly to respond to the deepening humanitarian and refugee crisis in Iraq by using the entire United States refugee allocation for the Near East/South Asia region and any unused portion of the worldwide allocation for Iraqi refugees, particularly people who have assisted the United States and religious minorities.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Sep 6, 2007.)