October 25, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 3461 proposed by Senator Lott for Senator DeMint.
October 25, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 3461 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
Full Text of this Amendment
At the end of title III, add the following:
SEC. 306. PASSENGER RAIL SYSTEM COMPARISON STUDY.
(a) In General.--Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General of the United States shall complete a study that compares the passenger rail system in the United States with the passenger rail systems in Canada, Germany, Great Britain, and Japan.
(b) Issues To Be Studied.--The study conducted under subsection (a) shall include a country-by-country comparison of--
(1) the development of high speed rail;
(2) passenger rail operating costs;
(3) the amount and payment source of rail line construction and maintenance costs;
(4) the amount and payment source of station construction and maintenance costs;
(5) passenger rail debt service costs;
(6) passenger rail labor agreements and associated costs;
(7) the net profit realized by the major passenger rail service providers in each of the 4 most recent quarters;
(8) the percentage of the passenger rail system's costs that are paid from general government revenues; and
(9) the method used by the government to provide the subsidies described in paragraph (8).
(c) Report.--Not later than 180 days after the completion of the study under subsection (a), the Comptroller General shall submit a report containing the findings of such study to--
(1) the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate; and
(2) the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Oct 25, 2007.)