No actions available.
Full Text of this Amendment
On page 33, between lines 10 and 11, insert the following:
SEC. 210A. REPORT ON THE FEASIBILITY OF REESTABLISHING AN AMTRAK ROUTE THROUGH SOUTHERN MONTANA.
(a) In General.--Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation, in consultation with the Montana Department of Transportation and such other States and organizations as the Secretary determines appropriate, shall submit to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives a report on the feasibility of reestablishing an Amtrak
passenger rail route through southern Montana (formerly known as the ``North Coast Hiawatha'').
(b) Contents of Report.--The report required by subsection (a) shall include an assessment of--
(1) the costs associated with the operation of a passenger rail route through southern Montana and any upgrades necessary to reestablish the route;
(2) the numbers of passengers projected to use the route;
(3) the economic benefits to the region of a passenger rail route through southern Montana;
(4) any impact on the existing Amtrak passenger rail route through northern Montana (commonly known as the ``Empire Builder''); and
(5) the availability of other modes of long-distance travel to residents of southern Montana.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Oct 25, 2007.)