October 30, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 3474 proposed by Senator Coburn.
October 30, 2007, 11:43 am ET - Coburn Amdt. No.3474
Full Text of this Amendment
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __. FOOD AND BEVERAGE SERVICE.
(a) Quarterly Report.--The National Railroad Passenger Corporation (referred to in this section as ``Amtrak'') shall submit a quarterly report to Congress and to the Secretary of Transportation that sets forth the profit or loss, as applicable, relating to the provision of food and beverage service on each rail line operated by Amtrak.
(b) Contract Renegotiation.--If the food and beverage service on a specific Amtrak rail line incurs a loss in any fiscal year, Amtrak shall renegotiate any applicable contracts relating to food and beverage service (including associated labor contracts) for such rail line in an effort to--
(1) reduce the cost of such service; and
(2) increase to likelihood to make a profit in the following fiscal year.
(c) Discontinuance.--If the food and beverage service on a specific Amtrak rail line incurs a loss in any 2 consecutive fiscal years, Amtrak shall terminate such service on such rail line.
(d) Reinstatement.--Amtrak may reinstate food and beverage service that was discontinued under subsection (c) if--
(1) at least 1 year has elapsed since the date on which such service was discontinued on the applicable rail line;
(2) Amtrak submits a credible proposal to Congress and to the Secretary of Transportation for generating food and beverage service profits on such rail line for each of the following 5 fiscal years; and
(3) the Secretary of Transportation, or the designee of the Secretary, certifies to Congress that the proposal submitted under paragraph (2) will likely generate food and beverage service profits on such rail line for each of the following 5 fiscal years.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Oct 29, 2007.)