October 29, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 3485 proposed by Senator Lott for Senator Bond.
October 29, 2007, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 3485 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
Full Text of this Amendment
On page 11, between lines 22 and 23, insert the following:
(e) AMTRAK'S MISSION.--
(1) Section 24101 is amended--
(A) by striking ``
PURPOSE'' in the section heading and inserting ``MISSION'';
(B) by striking subsection (b) and inserting the following:
``(1) IN GENERAL.--The mission of Amtrak is to provide efficient and effective intercity passenger rail mobility consisting of high quality service that is trip-time competitive with other intercity travel options and that is consistent with the goals of subsection (d).
``(2) PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT.--All measurements of Amtrak performance, including decisions on whether, and to what extent, to provide operating subsidies, shall be based on Amtrak's ability to carry out the mission described in paragraph (1).''; and
(C) by redesignating paragraphs (9) through (11) in subsection (c) as paragraphs (10) through (12), respectively, and inserting after paragraph (8) the following:
``(9) provide redundant or complimentary intercity transportation service to ensure mobility in times of national disaster or other instances where other travel options are not adequately available;''.
(2) CONFORMING AMENDMENT.--The chapter analysis for chapter 241 is amended by striking the item relating to section 24101 and inserting the following:
``24101. Findings, mission, and goals''.
On page 18, line 7, strike ``and''.
On page 18, strike lines 8 and 9 and insert the following:
(12) prior fiscal year and projected operating ratio, cash operating loss, and cash operating loss per passenger on a route, business line, and corporate basis;
(13) prior fiscal year and projected specific costs and savings estimates resulting from reform initiatives;
(14) prior fiscal year and projected labor productivity statistics on a route, business line, and corporate basis;
(15) prior fiscal year and projected equipment reliability statistics; and
(16) capital and operating expenditure for anticipated security needs.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Oct 29, 2007.)