No actions available.
Full Text of this Amendment
On page 304, strike line 19 and insert the following:
(a) In General.--Not later than 120 days after the date of enactment
On page 304, after line 25, add the following:
(b) Additional Funds.--
(1) IN GENERAL.--For the period of calendar years 2009 through 2018, of the proceeds of the auctions conducted under section 1402(a), $20,000,000,000 shall be allocated by the Administrator to the Kick-Start Program in accordance with the schedule described in paragraph (2).
(A) IN GENERAL.--Subject to subparagraph (B), of the $20,000,000,000 described in paragraph (1), the Administrator shall allocate--
(i) $1,200,000,000 in calendar year 2009;
(ii) $1,100,000,000 in calendar year 2010;
(iii) $900,000,000 in calendar year 2011;
(iv) $3,100,000,000 in 2012;
(v) $3,000,000,000 in each of calendar years 2013 and 2014; and
(vi) $2,000,000,000 in each of calendar years 2015 through 2018.
(B) INCREASE IN ALLOCATION.--If any portion of the funds to be allocated under subparagraph (A) for a calendar year is unavailable for that allocation, that portion shall be added to the amount to be allocated in the subsequent calendar year.
On page 305, line 19, insert ``research, development, demonstration, and'' before ``early deployment''.
Beginning on page 305, strike line 22 and all that follows through page 306, line 2, and insert the following:
(b) Goals.--The Board shall design and operate the Kick-Start Program with the goals of--
(1) advancing additional advanced coal research and development innovations for capturing and storing carbon dioxide; and
(2) rapidly bringing into operation in the United States not fewer than 5 commercial facilities that capture and geologically sequester carbon released when coal is used to generate electricity.
(c) Kick-Start Components.--
(1) RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT.--
(A) IN GENERAL.--For each fiscal year, the Secretary of Energy shall use 50 percent of the amounts in the Fund derived from auctions conducted under section 1002(b) to carry out the programs established under sections 962 and 963 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (42 U.S.C. 16292, 16293).
(B) REQUIREMENTS.--In carrying out the programs, the Secretary of Energy shall provide for the investigation of a wide variety of technologies for carbon capture for--
(i) retrofitting of existing facilities; and
(ii) installation of carbon-capture technology on next-generation coal-fueled facilities.
(2) DEPLOYMENT.--The Secretary of Energy shall use 50 percent of the amounts in the Fund derived from auctions conducted under section 1002(b) to carry out a program to facilitate the deployment of the technologies described in paragraph (1)(B).
On page 306, line 3, strike ``(c)'' and insert ``(d)''.
On page 306, strike lines 4 through 9 and insert the following:
(1) the ``Early Deployment Fund'' recommendations contained in the final report issued by the Advanced Coal Technology Work Group of the Clean Air Act Advisory Committee of the Environmental Protection Agency and dated January 29, 2008; and
(2) the programs established under sections 962 and 963 of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (42 U.S.C. 16292, 16293).
(e) Coal Diversity.--The Kick-Start Program
On page 306, line 13, strike ``(e)'' and insert ``(f)''.
On page 306, line 17, strike ``(f)'' and insert ``(g)''.
On page 457, line 13, insert ``and the Carbon Capture and Sequestration Technology Fund established by section 1001'' before the period at the end.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Jun 4, 2008.)