July 9, 2009, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 1464 proposed by Senator Murray for Senator Gregg to Amendment SA 1373.
July 9, 2009, 12:00 am ET - Amendment SA 1464 as modified agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
Full Text of this Amendment
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __. PROPER DISPOSAL OF PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED THROUGH THE REGISTERED TRAVELER PROGRAM.
(a) In General.--Any company that collects or retains personal information from individuals who participated in the Registered Traveler program shall safeguard and dispose of such information in accordance with the requirements in--
(1) the National Institute for Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-30, entitled ``Risk Management Guide for Information Technology Systems''; and
(2) the National Institute for Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-53, Revision 3, entitled ``Recommended Security Controls for Federal Information Systems and Organizations,'';
(3) any supplemental standards established by the Assistant Secretary, Transportation Security Administration (referred to in this section as the ``Assistant Secretary'').
(b) Certification.--The Assistant Secretary shall--
(1) review the procedures used to safeguard and dispose of such information; and
(2) require any company described in subsection (a) to provide, not later than 30 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, written certification to the sponsoring aircraft operator or airport operator that such procedures are consistent with the minimum standards established under paragraph (1).
(c) Report.--Not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Assistant Secretary shall submit a report to Congress that--
(1) describes the procedures that have been used to safeguard and dispose of personal information collected through the Registered Traveler program; and
(2) provides the status of the certification by any company described in subsection (a) that such procedures are consistent with the minimum standards established by the Assistant Secretary.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Jul 9, 2009.)