No actions available.
Full Text of this Amendment
Beginning on page 77, strike line 24 and all that follows through page 80, line 10, and insert the following:
(c) Specialty Crop Assistance.--
(1) DEFINITIONS.--In this subsection:
(A) DISASTER COUNTY.--
(i) IN GENERAL.--The term "disaster county" means a county included in the geographic area covered by a qualifying natural disaster declaration for the 2009 or 2010 crop year.
(ii) EXCLUSION.--The term "disaster county" does not include a contiguous county.
(B) ELIGIBLE SPECIALTY CROP PRODUCER.--The term "eligible specialty crop producer" means an agricultural producer that, for the 2009 or 2010 crop year, or both, as determined by the Secretary--
(i) produced, or was prevented from planting, a specialty crop; and
(ii) experienced crop losses in a disaster county due to excessive rainfall, freeze, drought, or a related condition.
(2) ASSISTANCE.--Of the funds of the Commodity Credit Corporation, the Secretary shall use not more than $500,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2011, to carry out a program of grants to States to assist eligible specialty crop producers for losses due to excessive rainfall, freeze, drought, and related conditions affecting the 2009 or 2010 crop, or both.
(3) NOTIFICATION.--Not later than 60 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall notify the State department of agriculture (or similar entity) in each State of the availability of funds to assist eligible specialty crop producers, including such terms as are determined by the Secretary to be necessary for the equitable treatment of eligible specialty crop producers.
(4) PROVISION OF GRANTS.--
(A) IN GENERAL.--The Secretary shall make grants to States for disaster counties with excessive rainfall, freeze, drought, and related conditions on a pro rata basis based on the value of specialty crop losses in those counties during the 2009 and 2010 calendar years, as determined by the Secretary.
(B) TIMING.--Not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall make grants to States to provide assistance under this subsection.
(C) MAXIMUM GRANT.--The maximum amount of a grant made to a State under this subsection may not exceed $100,000,000.
(5) REQUIREMENTS.--The Secretary shall make grants under this subsection only to States that demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Secretary that the State will--
(A) use grant funds to assist eligible specialty crop producers for losses due to a qualifying natural disaster;
(B) provide assistance to eligible specialty crop producers not later than 90 days after the date on which the State receives grant funds; and
(C) not later than 60 days after the date on which the State provides assistance to eligible specialty crop producers, submit to the Secretary a report that describes--
(i) the manner in which the State provided assistance;
(ii) the amounts of assistance provided by type of specialty crop; and
(iii) the process by which the State determined the levels of assistance to eligible specialty crop producers.
(6) RELATION TO OTHER LAW.--Assistance received under this subsection shall be included in the calculation of farm revenue for the 2009 and 2010 crop year (as applicable) under section 531(b)(4)(A) of the Federal Crop Insurance Act (7 U.S.C. 1531(b)(4)(A)) and section 901(b)(4)(A) of the Trade Act of 1974 (19 U.S.C. 2497(b)(4)(A)).
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Mar 3, 2010.)