No actions available.
Full Text of this Amendment
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __X. PREVENTING THE IMPLEMENTATION OF NEW ENTITLEMENTS THAT WOULD RAID MEDICARE.
(a) Ban on New Spending Taking Effect.--
(1) PURPOSE.--The purpose of this section is to require that gross savings resulting from the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and any bill enacted pursuant to section 201 of S. Con. Res. 13 (111th Congress) (referred to in this section as the "Health Care Acts") must fully offset the gross increase in Federal spending and the gross reductions in revenues resulting from the Health Care Acts before any such Federal spending increases or revenue reductions can occur.
(2) IN GENERAL.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary of the Treasury and the Secretary of Health and Human Services are prohibited from implementing any spending increase or revenue reduction provision in the Health Care Acts until both the Director of the Office of Management and Budget (referred to in this section as "OMB") and the Chief Actuary of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Office of the Actuary (referred to in this section as "CMS OACT")
each certify that they project that all of the projected Federal spending increases and revenue reductions resulting from the Health Care Acts will be offset by projected gross savings from the Health Care Acts.
(3) CALCULATIONS.--For purposes of this section, projected gross savings shall--
(A) include gross reductions in Federal spending and gross increases in revenues made by the Health Care Acts; and
(B) exclude any projected gross savings or other offsets directly resulting from changes to Medicare and Social Security made by the Health Care Acts.
(b) Limit on Future Spending.--On September 1 of each year (beginning with 2013), the CMS OACT and the OMB shall each issue an annual report that--
(1) certifies whether all of the projected Federal spending increases and revenue reductions resulting from the Health Care Acts, starting with the next fiscal year and for the following 9 fiscal years, are fully offset by projected gross savings resulting from the Health Care Acts (as calculated under subsection (a)(3)); and
(2) provides detailed estimates of such spending increases, revenue reductions, and gross savings, year by year, program by program and provision by provision.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Mar 8, 2010.)