No actions available.
Full Text of this Amendment
On page 256, between lines 19 and 20, insert the following:
SEC. 614. AEROSPACE WORKFORCE CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE.
(a) In General.--Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation, in coordination with the Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration and the heads of other Federal agencies, as appropriate, shall leverage existing resources to establish a program to develop education and career pathways in occupations within existing or emerging sectors in a regional aerospace industry
cluster through grants or other measures, including reimbursable agreements with other Federal agencies.
(b) Participation in Program.--The Secretary shall ensure that participants in the program established under subsection (a) include--
(1) employers or employer groups in the regional aerospace industry cluster;
(2) educational and research institutions that have existing facilities and experience in research, development, and commercialization in the aerospace industry;
(3) institutions of higher education (including community colleges) with experience providing education and training for aerospace industry occupations;
(4) high schools with demonstrated experience in providing career and technical education and training in occupations related to the aerospace industry;
(5) a State or local workforce investment board established under section 111 or 117 of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (29 U.S.C. 2821 and 2832, as appropriate;
(6) representatives of workers in the regional aerospace industry cluster; and
(7) other appropriate organizations.
(c) Competitive Grant Process.--The Secretary shall require applicants to submit an application, at such time and in such a manner as the Secretary may reasonably require. The application shall contain a description of the eligible participants under subsection (b) and shall require applicants to describe how participants will work together to accomplish the purposes of the program.
(d) Designation as Centers of Excellence.--
(1) IN GENERAL.--The Secretary and the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration shall award grants to not fewer than 6 applicants, which shall be designated as Regional Centers of Excellence in Aerospace Career Pathways.
(2) CONSIDERATIONS.--In making designations under paragraph (1), the Secretary and the Administrator shall--
(A) consider the existing aerospace industry presence and aerospace-related education, workforce training, and research and development activities in the region; and
(B) take any necessary measures to ensure--
(i) an equitable geographic distribution of funds; and
(ii) an appropriate balance in addressing the needs of aerospace industry segments.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Feb 10, 2011.)