No actions available.
Full Text of this Amendment
At the appropriate place insert the following:
SEC. __. STUDIES OF NATURAL SOUNDSCAPE PRESERVATION.
(a) Study of Least Degraded National Park Service Natural Soundscapes.--
(1) IN GENERAL.--Within 12 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall conduct a study to identify National Park Service natural soundscape values and resources, as defined by policies 4.9 and 8.2 of the 2006 Management Policies of the National Park Service.
(2) IDENTIFICATION OF LEASE DEGRADED SOUNDSCAPES.--In conducting the study under paragraph (1), the Secretary shall analyze and identify up to 50 National Park Service natural soundscapes that have been the least degraded by--
(A) unnatural sounds; and
(B) undesirable sounds cause by humans.
(3) TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE.--To the extent that the Secretary has identified aviation or aircraft noise as one of the sources of natural soundscapes degradation, the Administrator shall provide technical assistance to the Secretary in carrying out the study under paragraph (1).
(b) Preservation of Natural Soundscape Resources.--To the extent that the Secretary has identified aviation or aircraft noise as 1 of the sources of National Park Service natural soundscapes degradation, the Secretary, in coordination with the Administrator, shall identify methods to preserve each of the National Park Service natural soundscapes identified in the study conducted under subsection (a), including the application of NextGen technologies to minimize overflights of these
(c) Report.--Within 18 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary and the Administrator shall jointly submit a report to the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, the House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce, and the House of Representatives Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure that--
(1) describes the results of the study conducted under subsection (a) and the methods identified under subsection (b); and
(2) includes any recommendations that the Secretary and the Administrator determine to be appropriate.
(d) Definitions.--In this section:
(1) ADMINISTRATOR.--The term "Administrator" means the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration.
(2) SECRETARY.--The term "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Interior, acting through the Director of the National Park Service.
(e) Authorization of Appropriations.--There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as are necessary to carry out this section.
(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Feb 14, 2011.)