S. 3412 - Middle Class Tax Cut Act
PASSED on July 25, 2012.
1/2 required to pass
voted YES: 51
voted NO: 48
1 voted present/not voting
Middle Class Tax Cut Act
S. 3412 — 112th Congress (2011–2012)
- A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax relief to middle-class families. (by CRS)
- Learn More
- At OpenCongress
- A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax relief to middle-class families.
- Other Titles
- Middle Class Tax Cut Act
- Middle Class Tax Cut Act
- Harry Reid
- Business investment and capital
- Capital gains tax
- Computers and information technology
- Income tax credits
- Income tax deductions
- Income tax rates
- Poverty and welfare assistance
- Student aid and college costs
- Tax administration and collection, taxpayers
- Tax treatment of families
- Wages and earnings
- Related Bills
- H.R. 15 (112th) : Middle Class Tax Cut Act
- H.R. 2710 (112th) : Fair and Impartial Reform Tax Act of 2011
- H.R. 6100 (112th) : Middle Class Tax Cut Protection Act of 2012
- H.R. 6104 (112th) : Working Families Tax Protection Act of 2012
- H.R. 6262 (112th) : Middle Class and Small Business Tax Relief Act of 2012
- S. 3393 (112th) : Middle Class Tax Cut Act
- Major Actions
Introduced 7/19/2012 Amendments (6 proposed) Passed Senate 7/25/2012
- Bill History
Chamber/Committee Motion Date Result select this vote Senate On the Amendment S.Amdt. 2573 to S. 3412 (Middle Class Tax Cut Act) 7/25/2012 This amendment DID NOT PASS the Senate45 voted YES 54 voted NO 1 voted present/not voting currently selected Senate S. 3412 (112th): Middle Class Tax Cut Act 7/25/2012 This bill PASSED the Senate51 voted YES 48 voted NO 1 voted present/not voting Action Date Description Introduced 7/19/2012 Put on a legislative calendar 7/19/2012 Introduced in the Senate. Read twice. Ordered Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 467. 7/23/2012 Motion to proceed to consideration of measure made in Senate. 7/23/2012 Cloture motion on the motion to proceed to the measure presented in Senate. 7/24/2012 Motion to proceed to consideration of measure made in Senate. 7/25/2012 Motion to proceed to consideration of measure made in Senate. 7/25/2012 Motion to proceed to consideration of measure agreed to in Senate. 7/25/2012 Measure laid before Senate by motion. 7/25/2012 Amendment SA 2573 proposed by Senator Hatch. 7/25/2012 Cloture motion on the motion to proceed to the measure withdrawn by unanimous consent in Senate. select this vote Vote 7/25/2012 On the Amendment S.Amdt. 2573 to S. 3412 (Middle Class Tax Cut Act) currently selected Senate Vote on Passage 7/25/2012 S. 3412 (112th): Middle Class Tax Cut Act Number Sponsor Date Offered Status S. Amdt. 2568 Hutchison, Kay [R-TX] July 24, 2012 Offered on July 23, 2012. S. Amdt. 2569 Hutchison, Kay [R-TX] July 24, 2012 Offered on July 23, 2012. S. Amdt. 2570 Hutchison, Kay [R-TX] July 24, 2012 Offered on July 23, 2012. S. Amdt. 2571 Shaheen, Jeanne [D-NH] July 24, 2012 Offered on July 23, 2012. S. Amdt. 2572 Collins, Susan [R-ME] July 24, 2012 Offered on July 23, 2012. select this vote S. Amdt. 2573 Hatch, Orrin [R-UT] July 25, 2012 Failed by roll call vote on July 24, 2012.
In the nature of a substitute.
The bill Money Near Votes feature is currently disabled for maintenance. Thank you for your patience.
Organizations that took a position on
Middle Class Tax Cut Act: S. 3412 (112th): Middle Class Tax Cut Act
11 organizations supported this bill
- Hall, Mike (2012, July 24). Tell Your Senators to End the Bush Tax Cuts for the Richest 2%. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from AFL-CIO.
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- Loveless, Charles M. (2012, July 24). AFSCME Letter to Senators. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from AFSCME.
- Americans for Democratic Action
- ADA (2012). Support the Middle Class Tax Act. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from Wired for Change.
- Americans for Tax Fairness
- Crowley, Sean (2012, July 25). Coalition Praises Senate for Passing Bill to End Bush Tax Cuts for Top 2% . Retrieved July 25, 2012, from ATF.
- Campaign for America's Future
- Rose, Liz (2012, July 25). Campaign for America's Future Urges Senators to Support Tax Cuts for 98%. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from CAF.
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America
- Nassar, Josh (2012, July 25). UAW Letter to Senators. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from UAW.
- Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Henderson, Wade and Nancy Zirkin (2012, July 24). Support S. 3412, the Middle Class Tax Cut Act. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from Civil Rights.org.
- National Community Tax Coalition
- Jackie Lynn Coleman (2012, July 24). NCTC Letter to Honorable Members of the U.S. Senate. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from Tax-Coalition.org.
- National Women's Law Center
- NWLC (2012, July 25). NWLC Applauds Senate Vote to End Tax Cuts for the Richest 2 Percent of Americans. Retrieved July 26, 2012, from NWLC.
- Service Employees International Union
- Nulty, Christopher (2012, July 24). SEIU's Henry: Hard Day's Work Should be Valued by Politicians, Not Overshadowed by Rabid Drive to Protect Tax Breaks for Elite. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from SEIU.
- Wider Opportunities for Women
- McMahon, Shawn (2012, July 25). WOW Letter to Senators. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from WOW Online.
10 organizations opposed this bill
- 60 Plus Association
- 60 Plus Association (2012, July 25). The 60 Plus Association Calls on the Senate to vote NO! on Death Tax Increase. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from 60 Plus Association.
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- AFBF (2012, October 1). Taxes-Capital Gains Tax Extension. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from AFBF.
- Americans for Prosperity
- Valvo, James (2012, July 25). Senate Key Vote: Oppose Reid's Tax Bill, S 3412. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from AfP.
- Americans for Tax Reform
- Blair, Paul (2012, July 26). Claire McCaskill to Missouri Farmers: You Didn’t Build That Read. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from ATR.
- Associated Builders & Contractors
- ABC (2012, July 25). Senate Democrats Vote to Pass Small Business Tax Hike. Retrieved August 1, 2012, from ABC.
- National Association of Manufacturers
- Newhouse, Aric (2012, July 24). NAM Letter to Senators. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from NAM.
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Eckerly, Susan (2012, July 24). Senate Key Vote Letter: Oppose S. 3412. Retrieved July 25, 2012, from NFIB.
- National Roofing Contractors Association
- Audap, Brandon (2012, July 27). Senate Fails to Advance Legislation Shielding Small Businesses from Tax Increases. Retrieved November 21, 2012, from NRCA.
- National Taxpayers Union
- Swift, Nan (2012, July 25). “NO” on the motion to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to S. 3412, the so-called “Middle Class Tax Cut Act.”. Retrieved July 26, 2012, from NTU.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Josten, Bruce R. (2012, July 24). Key Vote Alert on S. 3412, the "Middle Class Tax Cut Act". Retrieved July 25, 2012, from US Chamber of Commerce.
View citations of support and opposition
Contributions data source: OpenSecrets.org
Contributions by Legislator
|Name||Party||State||$ From Interest Groups|
|$ From Interest Groups|
|Daniel K. Akaka||D||HI||$3,000||$2,000||Yes|
|Andrew Lamar Alexander||R||TN||$1,700||$50,300||No|
|Michael F. Bennet||D||CO||$194,867||$18,550||Yes|
|Jesse "Jeff" Bingaman||D||NM||$1,000||$-250||Yes|
|Scott P. Brown||R||MA||$0||$764,783||No|
|Clarence Saxby Chambliss||R||GA||$4,850||$431,598||No|
|William Thad Cochran||R||MS||$0||$28,800||No|
|Susan M. Collins||R||ME||$78,154||$122,549||No|
|Gaylord Kent Conrad||D||ND||$5,300||$2,000||Yes|
|Christopher A. Coons||D||DE||$95,840||$10,400||Yes|
|Kirsten E. Gillibrand||D||NY||$1,684,121||$42,460||Yes|
|Kay R. Hagan||D||NC||$876,059||$8,506||Yes|
|Orrin G. Hatch||R||UT||$20,850||$56,700||No|
|Kay Bailey Hutchison||R||TX||$250||$44,850||No|
|John F. Kerry||D||MA||$129,448||$18,450||Yes|
|Mark Kirk||R||IL||$7,120||$364,150||Not Voting|
|Mary L. Landrieu||D||LA||$243,827||$29,900||Yes|
|Frank R. Lautenberg||D||NJ||$53,600||$13,850||Yes|
|Patrick J. Leahy||D||VT||$81,600||$250||Yes|
|Joe Manchin, III||D||WV||$109,365||$44,550||Yes|
|Addison "Mitch" McConnell||R||KY||$500||$313,680||No|
|Barbara A. Mikulski||D||MD||$120,608||$9,500||Yes|
|Earl "Ben" Nelson||D||NE||$34,750||$12,000||Yes|
|Clarence "Bill" Nelson||D||FL||$110,244||$26,800||Yes|
|Mark L. Pryor||D||AR||$37,850||$7,000||Yes|
|John "Jack" Reed||D||RI||$28,650||$8,900||Yes|
|Charles "Pat" Roberts||R||KS||$1,000||$126,949||No|
|John "Jay" Rockefeller||D||WV||$65,500||$22,800||Yes|
|Richard C. Shelby||R||AL||$0||$12,250||No|
|Olympia J. Snowe||R||ME||$1,500||$32,850||No|
|Patrick J. Toomey||R||PA||$300||$1,449,641||No|
|Mark R. Warner||D||VA||$134,176||$26,760||Yes|
|Roger F. Wicker||R||MS||$0||$129,875||No|