S. Amdt. 1460 - To Amend the Title.
- Orrin Hatch
PASSED by voice vote on December 13, 2011.
Joint Resolution Proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
S.J.Res. 10 — 112th Congress (2011–2012)
- Joint resolution proposing a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution of the United States. (by CRS)
- Learn More
- At OpenCongress
- A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relative to balancing the budget.
- Other Titles
- Joint resolution proposing a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
- Orrin Hatch
- Lamar Alexander
- Kelly Ayotte
- John Barrasso
- Roy Blunt
- John Boozman
- Scott Brown
- Richard Burr
- Saxby Chambliss
- Daniel Coats
- Thomas Coburn
- Thad Cochran
- Susan Collins
- Bob Corker
- John Cornyn
- Michael Crapo
- Jim DeMint
- John Ensign
- Michael Enzi
- Lindsey Graham
- Charles Grassley
- Dean Heller
- John Hoeven
- Kay Hutchison
- James Inhofe
- John Isakson
- Mike Johanns
- Ron Johnson
- Mark Kirk
- Jon Kyl
- Mike Lee
- Richard Lugar
- John McCain
- Mitch McConnell
- Jerry Moran
- Lisa Murkowski
- Rand Paul
- Robert Portman
- James Risch
- Pat Roberts
- Marco Rubio
- Jefferson Sessions
- Richard Shelby
- Olympia Snowe
- John Thune
- Patrick Toomey
- David Vitter
- Roger Wicker
- Economics and public finance
- Budget deficits and national debt
- Budget process
- Constitution and constitutional amendments
- Income tax rates
- Legislative rules and procedure
- Related Bills
- H.J.Res. 54 (112th) : Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Relative to Balancing the Budget.
- H.J.Res. 56 (112th) : Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Relative to Balancing the Budget.
- S.J.Res. 23 (112th) : A Joint Resolution Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Relative to Balancing the Budget.
- Major Actions
Introduced 3/31/2011 Referred to Committee Amendments (1 proposed) Failed passage in Senate 12/14/2011
- Bill History
Chamber/Committee Motion Date Result currently selected Senate Amendment SA 1460 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent. 12/13/2011 PASSED by voice vote select this vote Senate On the Joint Resolution S.J.Res. 10 12/14/2011 This bill DID NOT PASS the Senate47 voted YES 53 voted NO 0 voted present/not voting Action Date Description Introduced 3/31/2011 3/31/2011 Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary. 12/13/2011 Senate Committee on the Judiciary discharged by Unanimous Consent as pursuant to the Budget Control Act of 2011. 12/13/2011 Measure laid before Senate by unanimous consent. 12/13/2011 Amendment SA 1460 proposed by Senator Hatch. currently selected Vote 12/13/2011 Amendment SA 1460 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent. 12/14/2011 Considered by Senate. select this vote Senate Vote on Passage 12/14/2011 On the Joint Resolution S.J.Res. 10 Number Sponsor Date Offered Status currently selected S. Amdt. 1460 Hatch, Orrin [R-UT] December 13, 2011 Passed by voice vote on December 12, 2011.
To amend the title.
December 12, 2011, 7:00 pm ET - Amendment SA 1460 proposed by Senator Hatch.
December 12, 2011, 7:00 pm ET - Amendment SA 1460 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
Full Text of this AmendmentThe text of this amendment is not available.
Total contributions given to Senators from interest groups that…
supported this amendment
Organizations that took a position on
Joint Resolution Proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.: Amendment SA 1460 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent.
5 organizations supported this amendment
- Americans for Prosperity
- James Valvo, Director of Government Affairs & (2011, March 31). Letter of Support: Hatch-Walsh Balanced Budget Amendment, S.J. Res. 10 and H.J. Res. 56. Retrieved December 13, 2011, from Americans for Prosperity.
- Council for Citizens Against Government Waste
- Thomas A. Schatz (2011, April 7). Dear House of Representatives. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CAGW.
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Susan Eckerly, Senior Vice President of Public Policy (2011, December 13). Key Vote Letter for S.J.Res. 10 in Support of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Retrieved December 13, 2011, from NFIB.
- National Taxpayers Union
- Brandon Greife (2011, December 13). “YES” on S.J. Res. 10, the “Consensus” Balanced Budget Amendment (BBA) to the Constitution.. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from National Taxpayers Union.
- Northwest Mining Association
- NWMA (2011). REPUBLICAN PLAN TO PUT AMERICANS BACK TO WORK The Jobs Through Growth Act. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from NWMA.
7 organizations opposed this amendment
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- AFSCME (2011, November 30). Statement for the Record. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from AFSCME.
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- CBPP (2011, November 30). Testimony: Robert Greenstein, President, on “A Balanced Budget Amendment: The Perils of Constitutionalizing the Budget Debate” Before the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Hearing. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CBPP.
- Coalition on Human Needs
- CHN (2011, June 17). Balanced Budget Amendment Would Threaten Critical Programs and the Economy . Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CHN.
- Committee for Education Funding
- Abigail Evans & Joel Packer (2011, July 19). Letter to Senators. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CEF.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- NAACP (2011, June 28). NAACP Opposes So-Called "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the Constitution. Retrieved June 28, 2011, from NAACP.
- National Organization for Women
- NOW (2011, June 15). Radical Budget Proposals Will Harm Economy and Hurt Women & Families. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from NOW.
- National Women's Law Center
- NWLC (2011, May 20). One-Sided Budget Proposals Threaten Women and Families, Shield Millionaires and Corporations. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from NWLC.
View citations of support and opposition
Contributions data source: OpenSecrets.org
Contributions by Legislator
|Name||Party||State||$ From Interest Groups|
|$ From Interest Groups|
|Daniel K. Akaka||D||HI||$0||$3,000||Yes|
|Andrew Lamar Alexander||R||TN||$2,000||$14,150||Yes|
|Jesse "Jeff" Bingaman||D||NM||$1,000||$3,500||Yes|
|Clarence Saxby Chambliss||R||GA||$43,250||$29,200||Yes|
|William Thad Cochran||R||MS||$1,000||$0||Yes|
|Gaylord Kent Conrad||D||ND||$4,000||$12,300||Yes|
|Kay Bailey Hutchison||R||TX||$5,100||$250||Yes|
|Addison "Mitch" McConnell||R||KY||$33,850||$39,350||Yes|
|Earl "Ben" Nelson||D||NE||$9,000||$8,400||Yes|
|Clarence "Bill" Nelson||D||FL||$11,000||$20,050||Yes|
|John "Jack" Reed||D||RI||$2,000||$21,400||Yes|
|Charles "Pat" Roberts||R||KS||$9,600||$3,500||Yes|
|John "Jay" Rockefeller||D||WV||$11,000||$37,750||Yes|