S.J.Res. 10 - Joint Resolution Proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
DID NOT PASS on December 14, 2011.
2/3 required to pass
voted YES: 47
voted NO: 53
0 voted present/not voting
Joint Resolution Proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
S.J.Res. 10 — 112th Congress (2011–2012)
- Joint resolution proposing a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution of the United States. (by CRS)
- Learn More
- At OpenCongress
- A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relative to balancing the budget.
- Other Titles
- Joint resolution proposing a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
- Orrin Hatch
- Lamar Alexander
- Kelly Ayotte
- John Barrasso
- Roy Blunt
- John Boozman
- Scott Brown
- Richard Burr
- Saxby Chambliss
- Daniel Coats
- Thomas Coburn
- Thad Cochran
- Susan Collins
- Bob Corker
- John Cornyn
- Michael Crapo
- Jim DeMint
- John Ensign
- Michael Enzi
- Lindsey Graham
- Charles Grassley
- Dean Heller
- John Hoeven
- Kay Hutchison
- James Inhofe
- John Isakson
- Mike Johanns
- Ron Johnson
- Mark Kirk
- Jon Kyl
- Mike Lee
- Richard Lugar
- John McCain
- Mitch McConnell
- Jerry Moran
- Lisa Murkowski
- Rand Paul
- Robert Portman
- James Risch
- Pat Roberts
- Marco Rubio
- Jefferson Sessions
- Richard Shelby
- Olympia Snowe
- John Thune
- Patrick Toomey
- David Vitter
- Roger Wicker
- Economics and public finance
- Budget deficits and national debt
- Budget process
- Constitution and constitutional amendments
- Income tax rates
- Legislative rules and procedure
- Related Bills
- H.J.Res. 54 (112th) : Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Relative to Balancing the Budget.
- H.J.Res. 56 (112th) : Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Relative to Balancing the Budget.
- S.J.Res. 23 (112th) : A Joint Resolution Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of the United States Relative to Balancing the Budget.
- Major Actions
Introduced 3/31/2011 Referred to Committee Amendments (1 proposed) Failed passage in Senate 12/14/2011
- Bill History
Chamber/Committee Motion Date Result select this vote Senate Amendment SA 1460 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent. 12/13/2011 PASSED by voice vote currently selected Senate On the Joint Resolution S.J.Res. 10 12/14/2011 This bill DID NOT PASS the Senate47 voted YES 53 voted NO 0 voted present/not voting Action Date Description Introduced 3/31/2011 3/31/2011 Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary. 12/13/2011 Senate Committee on the Judiciary discharged by Unanimous Consent as pursuant to the Budget Control Act of 2011. 12/13/2011 Measure laid before Senate by unanimous consent. 12/13/2011 Amendment SA 1460 proposed by Senator Hatch. select this vote Vote 12/13/2011 Amendment SA 1460 agreed to in Senate by Unanimous Consent. 12/14/2011 Considered by Senate. currently selected Senate Vote on Passage 12/14/2011 On the Joint Resolution S.J.Res. 10
Average contributions given to Senators from Small business associations, which…
supported this bill
|Small business associations [About]|
Organizations that took a position on
Joint Resolution Proposing a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.: On the Joint Resolution S.J.Res. 10
5 organizations supported this bill
- Americans for Prosperity
- James Valvo, Director of Government Affairs & (2011, March 31). Letter of Support: Hatch-Walsh Balanced Budget Amendment, S.J. Res. 10 and H.J. Res. 56. Retrieved December 13, 2011, from Americans for Prosperity.
- Council for Citizens Against Government Waste
- Thomas A. Schatz (2011, April 7). Dear House of Representatives. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CAGW.
- National Federation of Independent Business
- Susan Eckerly, Senior Vice President of Public Policy (2011, December 13). Key Vote Letter for S.J.Res. 10 in Support of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Retrieved December 13, 2011, from NFIB.
- National Taxpayers Union
- Brandon Greife (2011, December 13). “YES” on S.J. Res. 10, the “Consensus” Balanced Budget Amendment (BBA) to the Constitution.. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from National Taxpayers Union.
- Northwest Mining Association
- NWMA (2011). REPUBLICAN PLAN TO PUT AMERICANS BACK TO WORK The Jobs Through Growth Act. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from NWMA.
7 organizations opposed this bill
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
- AFSCME (2011, November 30). Statement for the Record. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from AFSCME.
- Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- CBPP (2011, November 30). Testimony: Robert Greenstein, President, on “A Balanced Budget Amendment: The Perils of Constitutionalizing the Budget Debate” Before the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Human Rights Hearing. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CBPP.
- Coalition on Human Needs
- CHN (2011, June 17). Balanced Budget Amendment Would Threaten Critical Programs and the Economy . Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CHN.
- Committee for Education Funding
- Abigail Evans & Joel Packer (2011, July 19). Letter to Senators. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from CEF.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- NAACP (2011, June 28). NAACP Opposes So-Called "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the Constitution. Retrieved June 28, 2011, from NAACP.
- National Organization for Women
- NOW (2011, June 15). Radical Budget Proposals Will Harm Economy and Hurt Women & Families. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from NOW.
- National Women's Law Center
- NWLC (2011, May 20). One-Sided Budget Proposals Threaten Women and Families, Shield Millionaires and Corporations. Retrieved December 14, 2011, from NWLC.
View citations of support and opposition
Contributions by Legislator
|Name||Party||State||$ From Interest Groups|
|$ From Interest Groups|
|Daniel K. Akaka||D||HI||$0||$0||No|
|Andrew Lamar Alexander||R||TN||$2,000||$0||Yes|
|Jesse "Jeff" Bingaman||D||NM||$0||$0||No|
|Clarence Saxby Chambliss||R||GA||$11,500||$0||Yes|
|William Thad Cochran||R||MS||$1,000||$0||Yes|
|Gaylord Kent Conrad||D||ND||$0||$0||No|
|Kay Bailey Hutchison||R||TX||$0||$0||Yes|
|Addison "Mitch" McConnell||R||KY||$12,000||$0||Yes|
|Earl "Ben" Nelson||D||NE||$1,000||$0||No|
|Clarence "Bill" Nelson||D||FL||$0||$0||No|
|John "Jack" Reed||D||RI||$2,000||$0||No|
|Charles "Pat" Roberts||R||KS||$3,000||$0||Yes|
|John "Jay" Rockefeller||D||WV||$0||$0||No|