2020 Data and Digital Deception Summer Intern
MapLight, an innovative, award-winning nonprofit that strives to create a government that (actually) works for the people, is seeking a summer intern to join its dynamic team.
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that strives to create a government that (actually) works for the people by shining a light on digital deception, illuminating the influence of money in politics, empowering voters with nonpartisan civic information, and more. Our work has been recognized with a James Madison Freedom of Information Award, a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a Library Journal Best Reference Award, an American Library Association MARS: Best Free Reference Web Site Award, and a Webby Award nomination.
In the last year alone, we’ve worked tirelessly to counter efforts to undermine the integrity of future elections. We’ve partnered with democracy campaigns across the country at the state and local levels, generating data analyses to advocate for reform on issues ranging from public funding to transparency to stronger public ethics laws. We’ve published reams of data connecting the dots between political money and policy outcomes. And we’ve empowered half a million California voters with Voter’s Edge, our comprehensive, nonpartisan online voter guide for the 21st century.
All signs point to 2020 being a pivotal year for our country and for our democratic way of life. Please join our efforts!
Interns will work on a variety of projects across multiple teams, including:
- Analyze campaign finance, lobbying, and other data related to specific policy areas.
- Track federal bills through the legislative process and identify positions on the bills taken by corporations and other organizations.
- Contribute to voter guide user testing and suggest design improvements.
- Examine software updates on MapLight's website and voter guide, report mistakes, and recommend improvements from your own perspective.
- Identify important news, analysis, and research related to online political manipulation and help write the weekly Digital Deception Decoder newsletter.
- Assist MapLight's communications team with identification and outreach to target media outlets and reporters to illuminate the influence of money in politics.
- Monitor and analyze the news cycle, social media and campaign activities of organizations working to advance digital deception reforms to help identify opportunities for campaign partnerships.
Priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate an interest in legislative research, data analysis, voter information, communications, and/or web product design.
How to Apply
MapLight believes that diversity makes us stronger. Building a team with diverse perspectives and life experiences enhances our ability to design products that inspire informed engagement with our political system across an inclusive audience. To that end, we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you have a disability and may require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!
Send cover letter and resume to the attention of Phoebe Sanders at email@example.com, and reference “Summer Data and Digital Deception Internship” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.