Disinformation Policy Associate – Part-time
Communications and Editorial
MapLight is seeking a Disinformation Policy Associate to help produce informative and engaging content on policy approaches to online political manipulation. This role is ideal for an early to mid-career professional with demonstrated knowledge of and interest in digital disinformation, internet and social media research/policy, election reform, political science, and/or related issues. This position will be an integral part of our policy and advocacy team. This position is 20 hours per week, $25 to $35 per hour depending on experience. This position includes benefits.
- Research and write blog posts, policy statements, white papers, and other pieces to support MapLight’s advocacy and coalition work.
- Produce MapLight’s weekly newsletter, the Digital Deception Decoder, which synthesizes the most important news, research, and analysis related to online political manipulation. (See past issues here.)
- Assist with project management and coordination of our policy and advocacy work, including taking notes in meetings and tracking follow-up as needed.
- At least 2 years of experience (graduate education and/or professional background) in one or more of the following areas: digital disinformation, internet and social media research/policy, election reform, political science, and/or related issues
- Strong editorial judgment to discern what items will be of highest relevance and interest to target audiences
- Ability to quickly and accurately research and synthesize complex issues
- Engaging writing style with strong grasp of mechanics (grammar, spelling, punctuation, consistent formatting) and professional tone
- Ability to meet weekly deadlines
- Highly organized and able to take on project management tasks as needed
- Experience with MailChimp or similar mass email platforms
How to Apply
This position can be filled remotely. MapLight is located in downtown Berkeley, near BART (due to COVID-19, we are all currently working from home). This position includes fully-covered health benefits, generous paid vacation, and a 403(b) plan. Our hardworking but casual office environment includes quality-of-life perks such as office snacks, biweekly team lunches, delicious fair-trade coffee, ergonomic workstations, and bike storage on the premises.
MapLight believes that diversity makes us stronger. Building a team with diverse perspectives and life experiences enhances our ability to design products and advocate for informed engagement with our political system across an inclusive audience. To that end, we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you have a disability and may require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come work with us to protect our democracy!
Send cover letter and resume to the attention of Mx. Phoebe Sanders at email@example.com, and reference “Disinformation Policy Associate” in the subject line.
MapLight, founded in 2005, is a nonpartisan research organization that strives to create a government that (actually) works for the people by shining a light on digital deception, illuminating the influence of money in politics, empowering voters with nonpartisan civic information, and more. Our work has been recognized with a James Madison Freedom of Information Award, a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a Library Journal Best Reference Award, an American Library Association MARS: Best Free Reference Web Site Award, and a Webby Award nomination.
In the last year alone, we’ve worked tirelessly to counter efforts to undermine the integrity of future elections. We’ve advocated for policies to safeguard elections from online political manipulation. We’ve partnered with democracy campaigns across the country at the state and local levels, generating data analyses to advocate for reforms such as public funding of elections, transparency, and stronger public ethics laws. We’ve published reams of data connecting the dots between political money and policy outcomes. And we’ve empowered half a million California voters with Voter’s Edge, our comprehensive, nonpartisan online voter guide for the 21st century.
All signs point to 2020 being a pivotal year for our country and for our democratic way of life. Please join our efforts!