MapLight, an innovative, award-winning nonprofit that tracks money’s influence on politics, is seeking a fall intern to join its dynamic team.
Interns will work on a variety of projects across multiple teams, possibly including:
- Analyzing campaign finance and lobbying data within issue areas based on your interests.
- Learning about design principles and iterative development; applying user testing; suggesting design enhancements.
- Examining software updates to MapLight's website, voter guide, and campaign finance disclosure tools; reporting mistakes and recommending improvements from your own perspective.
- Tracking federal bills through the legislative process and identifying positions on the bills taken by corporations and other organizations.
- Assisting MapLight's communications team with identification and outreach to target media outlets and reporters to illuminate the influence of money in politics.
- Monitoring and analyzing the news cycle, social media, and campaign activities of organizations working to advance money in politics reforms to help identify opportunities for campaign partnerships.
Fall internships typically last for ten weeks, with a commitment of at least ten hours per week; start and end dates are flexible. The position is unpaid, however we reimburse commuting expenses up to $100/month. MapLight is located in downtown Berkeley (near BART). Our hardworking but casual office environment includes quality-of-life perks such as a fully-stocked office snack bar, biweekly team lunches, delicious fair-trade coffee, ergonomic workstations, and bike storage on the premises.
MapLight believes that diversity makes us stronger. Building a team with diverse perspectives and life experiences enhances our ability to design products that inspire informed engagement with our political system across an inclusive audience. To that end, we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you have a disability and may require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that reveals money's influence on politics. Our groundbreaking transparency website, http://maplight.org, combines lobbying and campaign contribution data with how every legislator votes on every bill, making connections between money and votes that would previously have taken days or weeks to uncover available to the public at the click of a mouse. Our widely-disseminated, evidence-based findings highlight the relationship between campaign donations and legislative outcomes for the specific issues people care about, focusing citizen outrage and political energy on the root cause of government’s failure to serve the public interest: our broken system of campaign finance.
Since our founding in 2005, MapLight has reached over 315 million people with our data highlighting the impact of political influence. We've also launched Voter’s Edge, a comprehensive, nonpartisan online voter guide for the 21st century, and won a James Madison Freedom of Information Award, a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a Library Journal Best Reference Award, an American Library Association MARS: Best Free Reference Web Site Award, and a Webby Award nomination. For more about MapLight's work, check out the Stanford Social Innovation Review’s profile of MapLight (http://maplight.org/SSIR) or visit http://maplight.org and http://votersedge.org.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to the attention of Chelsea Whitman at email@example.com, and reference “Fall Internship” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.