MapLight, an innovative, award-winning nonprofit that strives to create a government that (actually) works for the people, is seeking a part-time Program Associate to join its dynamic team through November 2020.
This position will work on Voter’s Edge, our comprehensive online voter guide, as we prepare for the 2020 election. Voter’s Edge (votersedge.org), built and operated in partnership with the League of Women Voters of California Education Fund, gives users access to unbiased, in-depth information about the candidates and ballot measures on their ballots. With comprehensive coverage of federal, state, and local races in California, Voter’s Edge has been proven to increase voter confidence and participation. More than 2 million people visited the Voter’s Edge in 2018 - equivalent to 1 in 8 California voters.
The Program Associate will fulfill a variety of programmatic and administrative functions for the project, and candidates must possess strong writing, research, and organizational skills. The salary is $32-40 an hour, DOE.
This position will work approximately 18 hours a week. Employment will end in November 2020, and it is essential that candidates commit to work through that date.
Local candidates preferred. However, we are willing to consider someone who will work remotely, within California (or having recently moved from California), for the right candidate.
This part-time position is available immediately and includes generous paid vacation.
MapLight is located in downtown Berkeley (near BART). Our hardworking but casual office environment includes quality-of-life perks such as a fully-stocked office snack bar, optional work-from-home Fridays, biweekly team lunches, delicious fair-trade coffee, ergonomic workstations, and bike storage on the premises. Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!
MapLight is a nonpartisan, 501(c)(3) research organization strives to create a government that (actually) works for the people. Our work reveals the influence of money in politics, informs and empowers voters, and advances reforms that promote a more responsive democracy.
Since our founding in 2005, MapLight has reached over 300 million people with our data highlighting the impact of political influence. We've also launched Voter’s Edge, a comprehensive, nonpartisan online voter guide for the 21st century, and won a James Madison Freedom of Information Award, a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a Library Journal Best Reference Award, an American Library Association MARS: Best Free Reference Web Site Award, and a Webby Award nomination. For more about MapLight's work, check out the Stanford Social Innovation Review’s profile of MapLight (http://maplight.org/SSIR) or visit http://maplight.org and http://votersedge.org.
- Coordinate with the League of Women Voters of California to populate Voter’s Edge with new content for each election
- Provide support to our media partners and other partners who use Voter’s Edge-- coordinate social media news releases, provide guidance on best practices for communicating news about each election, etc.
- Answer tech support requests for the Voter’s Edge site and escalate user concerns or technical issues to the appropriate employee, when appropriate
- Collaborate with Communications Director to promote Voter’s Edge via social media, e-newsletters, and outreach to potential partners
- Administer the project’s AdWords account
- Research and publish election-related data, following instructions provided
- Assist the technical and data teams to keep election data updated and accurate
- Confirm accuracy of website changes, following instructions provided
- Tracking support requests and follow ups
- Other duties as needed
- Computer-savvy, web-savvy, data-savvy
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; trustworthy and responsive
- Dedication to detail-oriented, thorough, and 100% accurate work
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Personal dedication to MapLight’s mission and a demonstrated interest in civic engagement
- Familiarity with California state and local elections
- Experience with marketing, communications, or project management
- Familiarity with MailChimp, AdWords, Microsoft Excel, and/or Google Sheets
How to Apply
Send your cover letter and resume to the attention of Dan Newman, President, at email@example.com, and reference “Program Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
MapLight believes that diversity makes us stronger. Building a team with diverse perspectives and life experiences enhances our ability to design products that inspire informed engagement with our political system across an inclusive audience. To that end, we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you have a disability and may require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.