The Researcher documents evidence of support or opposition to legislation taken by businesses, trade groups, unions and other interested organizations. This information, combined with publicly available campaign contribution data, provides insight into who is funding (and influencing) the candidates that make our laws. The Researcher maintains MapLight’s database of organizations.
- Monitoring the progress of legislation from introduction, through the committee process, conference and final passage
- Collecting statements of support and opposition to legislation with a focus on a broad selection of interested groups and responding to the needs of data clients
- Standardizing organizations using internal web tools
- Assisting the Editorial Team with research projects as needed, including tracking legislation
- Writing short blog posts regarding legislation, campaigns and other issues in the Money & Politics sphere
- Assisting department heads with training and supervising research interns
- Contributing to data collection and website quality assurance projects
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of politics and the American legislative process – experience in political science or public policy is a plus
- Computer-savvy, web-savvy
- Dedication to detail-oriented, thorough, and accurate work
- Experience working with databases and/or large datasets
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Personal dedication to MapLight’s mission and work
Experience using Excel or other software to analyze data
How to Apply
We prefer a candidate who can begin right away since the position is available immediately – but we’re flexible on the start date. The Researcher position includes health benefits, a generous vacation allowance, competitive pay, and an employer-matched 403(b) plan. Hourly pay is dependent on experience.
MapLight is located in downtown Berkeley (near BART). Our hardworking but casual office environment includes quality-of-life perks such as a fully-stocked office snack bar, optional work-from-home Fridays, biweekly team lunches, delicious fair-trade coffee, ergonomic workstations, and bike storage on the premises.
MapLight believes that diversity makes us stronger. Building a team with diverse perspectives and life experiences enhances our ability to design products that inspire informed engagement with our political system across an inclusive audience. To that end, we are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you have a disability and may require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to the attention of Laura Curlin. Please reference "Researcher" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but to be considered in our first round of applicants, please apply by 2/4/19.
No phone calls or visits, please – but we do encourage all interested candidates to apply regardless of how certain they are of particular qualifications.