Web Developer (Temporary)
MapLight is seeking a Web Developer to join our team. We are looking for a qualified Front-end developer to join our tech team. You will be responsible for building the ‘client-side’ of our web applications. You should be able to translate requirements and customer needs into functional and appealing interactive UI/UX.
This is a full-time, temporary position available immediately through June 30, 2020. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, MapLight has made all positions remote until further notice. As such, this Web Developer position will be performed and supervised remotely. Preference given to candidates in CA, CO, MA, VA, VT, and District of Columbia.
- Determining the structure and design of web pages.
- Ensuring user experience determines design choices.
- Developing features to enhance the user experience.
- Striking a balance between functional and aesthetic design.
- Ensuring web design is optimized for smartphones.
- Building reusable code for future use.
- Optimizing web pages for maximum speed and scalability.
- Utilizing a variety of markup languages to write web pages.
- Work in a small, dynamic team to develop new web-based tools to support a talented research team and an audience of millions.
- Enhance our Drupal-based website with top-notch PHP coding and Drupal standards.
- Help to develop a suite of tools for both our researchers and the public in various languages and systems.
- 3+ years web development, with a strong focus on LAMP and open source tools
- Experience with graphic design applications such as Adobe Illustrator.
- Experience with responsive and adaptive design.
- Experience with C# and templating
- Git expertise
- Work with LINUX systems, ssh, rsync, etc.
- Experience with Back End API development
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Web Developer” in the subject line.
Please include code samples and links to your online work.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
No phone calls please.
MapLight is an equal opportunity employer.
MapLight is a nonpartisan research organization that strives to create a government that (actually) works for the people by shining a light on digital deception, illuminating the influence of money in politics, empowering voters with nonpartisan civic information, and more. Our work has been recognized with a James Madison Freedom of Information Award, a Knight-Batten Award for Innovations in Journalism, a Library Journal Best Reference Award, an American Library Association MARS: Best Free Reference Web Site Award, and a Webby Award nomination.
In the last year alone, we’ve worked tirelessly to counter efforts to undermine the integrity of future elections. We’ve partnered with democracy campaigns across the country at the state and local levels, generating data analyses to advocate for reform on issues ranging from public funding to transparency to stronger public ethics laws. We’ve published reams of data connecting the dots between political money and policy outcomes. And we’ve empowered half a million California voters with Voter’s Edge, our comprehensive, nonpartisan online voter guide for the 21st century.
MapLight believes that diversity makes us stronger. Building a team with diverse perspectives and life experiences enhances our ability to design products that inspire informed engagement with our political system across an inclusive audience. To that end, we encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you have a disability and may require accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Come work with us on the cutting edge of government transparency and accountability!