Free Mobile App Gives Users Immediate Access to Who's Funding Presidential Candidate and Affiliated Super PAC Campaigns
Sept. 25, 2012–MapLight, a nonpartisan research organization that reveals money's influence on politics, announces the launch of its new mobile app, Politicash 2012. The app, freely available for iOS and Android, tracks money flowing into the presidential race, making it easier than ever to know exactly who's funding the candidates, including the shadowy money going into the campaigns of their affiliated super PACs. An auto-tweet feature alerts candidates that users are keeping tabs on their fundraising. Politicash 2012 is updated regularly with the most recent data from the Federal Elections Commission (FEC).
"With millions of dollars flowing into the presidential race, Politicash 2012 makes it easier than ever to track the biggest donors and hold our candidates accountable, all from the palm of your hand," said Daniel G. Newman, MapLight's co-founder and president.
The app's features include:
- Head to head comparison of total contributions to Obama and Romney, including a fundraising breakdown by super PAC versus campaign committee
- Graphs tracking money raised and spent by each candidate over time
- The top 5 contributors overall
- Biggest contributors of the latest week of available records from the FEC
- A "Shake" feature, showing a random sample of company, individual, and PAC contributors to each candidate
Download Politicash 2012 today for iOS and Android.
Politicash 2012 launches in partnership with the Brennan Center for Justice, the Campaign Legal Center, Common Cause, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, Global Exchange, the Participatory Politics Foundation, Public Campaign, Rock the Vote, and Rootstrikers.
A link to this press release can be found here.